Growth Mindset

Before today and watching those videos I had never heard of Carol Dweck and the growth mindset before.
I think it is a very interesting topic and something that is fairly new to talk about, at least to me. I think that in society today us students are so focused on just passing the course or getting the grade we need that we do not focus on expanding that knowledge to other possibilities. We believe that once we have learned what we need to for an exam or quiz we just quit trying learning anymore. This is because students get so into only passing and not learning that I definitely feel it is a fixed growth stage.
I know as a student myself I have this habit of only learning what is necessary and not pushing myself for two reasons. One because I feel I don't need to in order to accomplish the course and two because I am worried of being wrong or proven that I was wrong in doing something. If I stick to what I know and understand I have less of a chance to be wrong therefore it makes me feel better.
I think taking this new mindset this semester is something I may want to try and push myself to do. Especially since it is my last semester here at OU I do not want to leave wishing I had done more.
Based on the growth mindset challenges I would really like to push myself to do the feedback and learning from other students on a daily basis in order to help push myself in learning.

Growth Mindset. Cheezburger. 

Comments