Feedback Thoughts

A fixed mindset could be holding you back:
I really liked this article because it related back to the growth mindset assignment we already did.
But I completely agree with this article. Telling kids they are great and giving out trophies to everyone does no good. As they get older they will realize that in fact not everyone does get a trophy and they will have a harder time dealing with it at that point.
Being a dancer all my life I have faced my share of criticism and feedback and at first I hated it and did not respond well to it. Eventually I learned to take the anger I was feeling from it and use it to change what I was doing wrong so I could prove to them I was better.
The article talks about how one of the problems is that schools will focus on grades and not feedback and I think this is very true and it is something our society should work on. While in school you are so focused the specific grade you don't care how you get it. However, when you get into your career you don't receive a grade, you will receive feedback and it is important to learn how to deal and manage with negative feedback.

Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt in Creative Work:
One of the most important points in this article in my opinion is "don't compare yourself to others".
I struggle with this on a daily basis. Hearing someone who got a better grade than me or that someone understands a topic that I am completely lost in can really get you down.
Again this article talks about having a growth mindset and not a fixed mindset and I am really starting to see that as a new trend in different areas. You will never be perfect and learning how to cope with mistakes and feedback is an important life skill everyone needs.

Got Feedback? Alan Levine, 2014. Flickr. 

Comments