Week 2 Story: The Lonely Basilisk

Once upon a time... In a land far, far away lived a very lonely basilisk.

He was not always a basilisk but instead a young king who was cursed by a warlock due to his selfish ways. Taking money from the people of his land and using it for himself. Letting people die of starvation. The only way to break the curse was to find someone who could help him work on his selfish ways.

The basilisk became so lonely in his castle that he ventured away looking for companionship. Women were disgusted by the way he looked and turned him away immediately. Feeling discouraged the basilisk almost gave up on trying to find love.

One day the basilisk found a young women who was reading a book near a rose garden and he approached her. This one did not flinch when she saw him but instead offered to make him dinner. The young girls mother and two sisters were astonished that she could even look at him.

The two talked for hours and eventually nightfall happened. Instead of making the basilisk take the very long walk back to his castle she offered to let him stay with her. Hesitantly the basilisk accepted. He was not used to people being friendly towards him. He liked it.

The basilisk ended up staying with the young women for a few days. She had taught him to be selfless and he taught her to be brave. When the two finally realized that the basilisk was no longer selfish the spell was broken! He was no longer a basilisk!

The basilisk turned into a handsome young man who wrapped the young girl up in his arms and they finally shared true loves kiss.

The two then set off on her horse for his castle where they invited everyone and had a huge party. Soon the two would be married and they lived happily ever after.

The End

Bojnice Castle. Miroslav Petrasko, 2013. Flickr. 



Authors Note:
I chose to base mine off of the story The Three Roses from the Anthology. I kept the characters the same: a basilisk, mother, and three daughters. However, in the original story the mother stumbles upon the castle when looking at the rose garden and the basilisk appears to her. Where as in my story the basilisk stumbles upon them and finds one of the daughters sitting near a rose garden. I wanted to make sure the roses were still incorporated into the story in some way. Instead of forcing the one daughter to live in the castle with the basilisk I chose to let the basilisk live with the women. The ending was similar because I love a happy ending. I changed the reasoning for the basilisk turning back into a man but in both stories he did turn back human. The basilisk turned back and married the young women who had helped him. 

Bibliography:
"The Three Roses" from The Key of Gold by Josef Baudis. Web Source.

Comments

  1. Hey Katlyn! I like how you changed the story and kept some things. You got to keep things that you like and changed things you didn't, so you made the story your own. You made the story easier to read and overall more captivating. The change made it seem as if instead of the basilisk capturing the woman, it was instead the woman nursing the basilisk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katlyn! Your story was really cute, and reminded me of Beauty and the Beast (one of my favorite fairy tales.) The story was well written and easy to read. You were very creative with your writing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katlyn, this comment will be written from the "Let's Pretend" point of view from the latest Feedback Assignment (Week 5).

    Hi there Katlyn, I am really glad that you picked up my story, you ma not know my name but I am the woman you wrote about. When I and my beautiful, on the inside and now, outside, husband started falling in love it was not the looks that mattered to me. This was actually the way my mother brought me up. She used to tell me and my sisters to never judge a book by its cover. Sadly, she did not love after that lesson herself. It would have been wonderful if you would have made me and my husband a bit more fleshed out as people, so other people could have perhaps connected more with us as characters and learn more from our story. IT would also have been very interesting to hear you retell the way I experienced my husbands transformation.
    Regards,
    The young woman in the story

    - Anna Margret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katyln! I thought you did a great job on your version of this story. I really liked your version of the Basilisk actually going to the woman's house and breaking the spell there. Also I like how you kept the happy ending because I also do love a happy ending! Overall it was a great story, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katlyn - nice story! I really like the reversal you did. One of the things I always do when I rewrite stories is ask if there is anyone who doesn't talk a lot/no perspective, a backstory not given, or a question unanswered. I like that you gave the monster guy a backstory and told it from his perspective. The only thing I would suggest elaborating on is the girl, why was she so kind to him? How come she could look past his looks? Anyways, good job retelling this story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katlyn! I loved that you kept the ending a happy one... I always love a happy ending too! I know that Beauty and the Beast was also based on The Three Roses, so I liked seeing how your story was similar but had its own twist. I loved how you made the reader feel for the basilisk by saying that he was not used to people being kind to him!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment